Monday, November 19, 2012

Week 13: Baptism!

Familia!

This week was a pretty awesome week. We were able to get a lot of things accomplished. We haven't really had too many Spanish lessons since I have been here, but this week we definitely stepped it up. I can't remember the exact number of lessons we had in Spanish, but I'm pretty sure that it was around 10. It is still hard to teach in Spanish because I can't express myself like I want to, but I know its coming along. Each day I get better at it, so I guess that is a plus. Its still pretty frustrating, but I guess I just need to be more patient.

Frank's baptism was AWESOME. Definitely an experience that I will always remember. Throughout the whole thing I just kept thinking about the scripture that talks about how great your joy will be if you bring only one person into the Kingdom of God, and my joy was definitely full. It is awesome to see how the Gospel really can change lives. Frank went from someone who wasn't happy and always questioning why he was here and what he was doing, to a person who has a plan. A person who knows why he is here and the things he needs to do in this life. It was awesome to see his life change and the joy that he experienced as he was able to come closer to Christ. I am so thankful that I was able to be a part of that. Every day I am so thankful to be on this mission to help Gods children, my brothers and sisters.

Yesterday Frank asked me if I would confirm him a member of the church and give him the blessing to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was definitely a very spiritual experience. The Holy Ghost has been such a huge blessing in my life. I think that when I was younger I didn't realize what a blessing that it really was. As I have been out here on this mission I have seen how hard this life can be. I have seen people who struggle and who have no hope. The Holy Ghost is there to solve that, and there aren't too many gifts that we receive that are better that this. Now Frank has the Holy Ghost as a constant companion, a constant guide in this life. Through those tough times that come up in life, Frank will have a helping hand to guide him through and a comforter when life gets hard. It was a privilege to use the power of the priesthood that I have been given and help him receive such an awesome gift.

Also this week I don't think I have ever ran into so many crazies before. Man, the ghetto is full of them. A couple days ago Elder Hernandez and I were street contacting a bunch of people. A few of them said they didn't even want to hear us talk and so we just left them with some invitations to the Mesa Temple lights. One of the guys that was there said, "Hey guys, I would like to learn a little more about your religion. I have always been interested in what the Mormons believe." So he had us follow him to another area to teach him. We started to talk about the restoration and a few of the things that we believed. Not sure how, but somehow he changed the subject to the constitution and a bunch of other things. He told us for the past 13 years of his life he has been reading the constitution and studying about our government. He read us off a list of 8 people that needed to die to get rid of the "beast" that now lives in our country. I don't remember the names, but I'm worried for them haha. This guy was a creep, and the ghetto that is in our area is full of people just like him. It provides for some pretty good entertainment.

Usually our preparation day is on Mondays, but today we just get time to email and shop, then it is back to proselyting. However, Thursday we get all day off for Thanksgiving. We already have three dinners planned............ I have three main goals on this mission. #1 Help others to come unto Christ #2 Strengthen my testimony and become more converted to Christ #3 Don't get fat. So far I have been doing pretty good on all of them I think, but Thanksgiving is going to be tough to keep #3. We are pretty much eating all day, so wish me luck..... Hopefully it all goes to pure muscle.... haha

Anyway all is well here, I'm loving it. I miss you all and take care,
Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment