So, we got transfer calls last night, looks like my time here in Tempe is done for now. I'm not sure where I am headed, all I know is that I am training, so I guess we will see Wednesday. I'm a little bit nervous to train because I know how huge of an impact trainers have on the first part of a missionary's mission. I was super blessed to have the trainer that I had and then to be living with the elders that I lived with. They have all definitely impacted my mission for the good and I hope that I can just do my part to help this elder out. However, I have learned throughout my whole life that whom the Lord calls He qualifies, and I definitely know that he will be helping me out.
This week was probably one of the best weeks of my mission. I know I keep saying that, but they honestly just keep getting better. This week three of our investigators entered into the waters of baptism. Being able to see people make these sacred covenants really just does make everything worth it. The first person baptized was Brandon. The first time I met Brandon was last Sunday when he bore his testimony in church. I thought that he was a member, but apparently not... Tuesday night we got a text from the bishop saying that Brandon had wanted to be baptized for several years his mother just wouldn't allow it until now. So, Wednesday afternoon we went over to their home and went over the baptismal interview questions (The questions each person is asked before baptism to make sure that the missionaries have taught them all that they need to be taught and then as well to make sure that they have gained a testimony of the key things in the Gospel.) Well, Brandon knew them all, so we told him he as ready for baptism and challenged him to be baptized this last Saturday and he accepted. It is always amazing to be able to meet people who at such a young age are so prepared to accept the Gospel.
Then, the next two people that were baptized were Eugene and Jamie. Eugene and Jamie have grown to be some of my favorite people that I have met on the mission. They have been investigating the church since 1996, and have known that it is the true church for several years, they just haven't been able to join because of their addiction to smoking. The first time that we met them about six weeks ago Elder Niederhauser and I instantly grew to love them. We could see all the potential that they had, and so we prayed to know what we should do to help them progress in the Gospel. As we prayed, we both felt that February would be the month when they would both finally be able to kick the habit and be baptized. We set a goal for the 16th of February about 5 weeks ago. One of the first times we met them we read Either 12:27 which has grown to be one of my favorite scriptures. In the scripture it talks about how when we turn unto Christ, He will make our weaknesses strengths. I have truly been able to see this with these two. The Atonement truly is our greatest gift in this life. Not only does it help bad men become good, but it helps good men become better. It is the strength that we need when we have no desire to continue on, and it is truly what drove Eugene and Jamie to reach the point where they are at now. Six weeks ago they went from no hope, no desire to continue on, to now they are baptized and able to have a member of the God Head with them as a continual guide. They have gone from no faith, to now having a worth priesthood holder as the head of their home. I truly do love the Gospel. It is truly the way to obtain joy in this life.
Also this week I was able to have an experience that I will cherish forever. For my whole mission I have been praying to be the answer to someone's prayer. I know that I answer people's prayers every single day by the message of the restored gospel that we bring, but I wanted to be able to see a miracle happen through me. This week as we were driving to one of our lessons a thought came to my mind that we needed to stop by Mercy, a recent convert's home and visit her. As we headed to her home we passed the street Don Carlos where Frank (my very first baptism) lives. Once again another name popped into my mind. I knew that we needed to go and visit Frank. As we pulled up to his home, the door opened even before we got to the porch. It was not Frank, but his cousin that he lives with. He invited us in and we sat and talked a little about Frank. As time moved on and we needed to head out to our lesson I asked if there was anything that we could do to help him out. He told us that actually he wanted a blessing. He went on to tell us that this past week his job had been cutting several people. Job security was not looking very good and he said he was scared for the future. He told us that as he got home that morning he fell to his knees asking God to bring by someone that could give him a blessing, that could help him out, and then we showed up. It is amazing how aware God truly is of us. We stumbled upon Frank's cousin by not one, but two changes of plans. God truly is aware of us and as we turn to him in our good times and bad, he will bless us with those things that we need.
I am so thankful for this gospel and for the opportunity that I have to share it. It truly does help bad men become good and good men to become better and I am thankful for the person that it is helping me become. I love you all and hope all is well. Take Care.
Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier
No comments:
Post a Comment