Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 67: Thanksgiving

Familia!

This week was AWESOME! One of the most spirit filled weeks that I have ever had.

With transfers coming up this Wednesday, beginning of last week we had to get started on the transfer board. I think that is one of the coolest experiences. It is amazing to be able to sit down not having any idea how things are going to work out and then all of a sudden its done. Everyone is exactly where they need to be and with exactly who they need to be with. I know that Our Father leads and guides that process. As we were closing up with a prayer, making sure that we had done exactly what needed to be done, President Toone mentioned in his prayer, "We thank thee for the opportunity to be an extension of thy hands, to move and place these missionaries where thou would move and place them." As I thought about this great work, I thought about how true that statement is and how it can apply to all aspects of our lives. Its interesting to think that for Our Father's great work, He needs us, He uses us. I know that there are ways that each of us help His work progress on a daily basis, and how great of a privileged that is.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were some of the most amazing days. Friday we met with one of our investigators named Daniel. Daniel was meeting with the missionaries for quite a while, and then they transferred him over to us since he was in the YSA age group. We tried teaching Daniel a couple of times at his place, but there were always so many different things going on at his house it was nearly impossible.

So, for the first time on Friday we met at the institute building on campus. At first we walked around the building, showing him the different class rooms and the different things that went on. Then, to end we wanted to spend some time in the chapel. So, we go in the chapel and as the door shuts behind us it was one of those moments when you can literally feel the spirit engulf the room. As we started to talk about sacrament meeting and the things that go on, Daniel said, "I'm not going to lie guys, I feel a little weird right now. I've never felt this way before." So, as discussed a little more what he was feeling, we identified it as the spirit. He said it was a peaceful joy mixed with a little bit of nerves because he knew that he needed to make some changes in his life. As we talked more about the spirit and the great gift that it is in our lives, Daniel started to become emotional. Now Daniel is a 6' 6" 350lbs bear, Daniel doesn't get emotional. But as tears started to feel Daniels eyes, he said that he knew that this was something that he needed. We extended a date for Daniel to be baptized the 21st of this month and he accepted.

To end the lesson, we asked Daniel to give the closing prayer. He was a little hesitant and asked for one of us to do it. I looked at Daniel and I said, "Daniel, right now is an opportunity that you have to solidify this decision that you have just made. I promise you that as we kneel down together, and as you offer this prayer, you will feel the confirmation from our Heavenly Father that this is something you should do." I promised Daniel that as he said the prayer and truly poured his heart out in it, our Heavenly Father would make sure that everything would take place that needed to take place for his baptism. As we knelt down together, Daniel offered the prayer. It was one of the most humble heart felt prayers that I have ever heard. As he ended the prayer, he leaned over so that he was on all fours and sat there for a while just crying. It is such an amazing experience to be a part of someones conversion. In that moment, Daniel put everything on the line, was willing to do absolutely whatever our Father in Heaven asked him to do, and as he did so, he experienced a change of heart. I know that the spirit can work with each and every one of us in the same manner. As we open ourselves up to our Father, willing to be mailable, the Spirit will testify to each and every one of us the things that we can do to further our conversion.

Then Saturday and Sunday we were able to witness two of the most amazing baptisms that I have ever seen. The first was Shuning. Shuning came to ASU to go to school and is about to graduate this month. A couple of weeks ago, Shuning found the missionaries and knew that he needed to join. Shuning is going back to China next month and already has plans to start sharing the Gospel with everyone when he gets back.

Then we were able to have the baptism of Kealani, an investigator that we have been working with for quite some time. Her baptism was right after church and we had an amazing turn out. There were over 100 people that were there to support her on such an important day in her life.

I am so thankful to be serving where I am serving. I know that miracles happen daily. I know that our Father in Heaven knows each and every one of us personally, and what great comfort that knowledge gives me. I love each of you. I'm thankful for all of you and the amazing examples that you are in my life!

Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment