Monday, January 27, 2014

Week 75: The Call

Familia!

I learned a very important lesson this week. Missionary work is nearly impossible without a voice. It's a good thing that I have a companion though! Who gets a cold in Arizona??

It was great to see Dad, Mom, Erik, Dawn, and the kids this last week. President Toone called Elder Oscarson and I in a special meeting on Saturday at 10. I kept hearing someone trying to get into the mission office, but I figured it was just some missionaries who forgot the mission office was closed on Saturday, and then all if a sudden, "Dad???" It definitely made my day. I'm so thankful for our family. I owe everything to you all. Thank you for all being such great examples to me and paving a path for me to follow.

This week has been incredible. We've had more teaching opportunities than we have ever had in this ward. It's such a blessing to be working in a ward where everyone is so missionary minded. During our proselyting time we honestly went from lesson to lesson to lesson. Our investigator Eric is doing super well. He was originally supposed to be baptized this last Saturday but talking with his parents they wanted him to focus on school and get his grades up before his baptism. We met with Eric and talked about the blessings that come from baptism last week and as we met this week he told us that he had a "revelation" the night before. He said he was sitting thinking about baptism and before he started to meet with us he was about 75% sure he was going to get baptized. As we started meeting and he started reading in the Book of Mormon he said that he has been about 95% sure on baptism for quite a while. As he sat there thinking the night before he was confused at what the extra 5% was and how he could overcome that when he realized that the extra 5% was just him, and that he just needed to make his mind up and do it.

Once Eric made his mind up, there was nothing stopping him. If Eric was to be baptized, he needed someone to baptize him, and so who did he think of? None other than President Monson. So, Eric Googled church headquarters and called them up. He said the first thing he told them was, "This is not a prank, I promise," and then proceeded to tell his story. He said that as soon as he finished his story the lady on the other line said, "Ya, I'll transfer you to his secretary." Eric said that he was in shock and had no idea what to say when President Monson's secretary answered.

Once again Eric explained his situation and that he had decided to be baptized. The secretary told him that because of President Monson's condition in the last couple of months that he probably wouldn't be able to make it. Who would've known that it was that easy??? Eric, what a crazy guy.

He told us his next option was Elder Holland. Since Elder Holland was supposed to come to the YSA conference a couple of weeks ago, Eric figured that he could guilt trip him into it haha. He said if that doesn't work out then he will just choose one of his friends here in Arizona. It truly has been a blessing being a part of Eric's journey. It never ceases to amaze me how earnest his desires are. He is truly an example of when we have an open heart and true intent, answers come.

I'm thankful for the examples of the people I have an opportunity to teach. They, in fact, are teaching me most of the time. I'm thankful for this gospel, and that there is no limit to how much we can learn. We truly can find the answers to each and every question that we have. I love you all! Thanks again for who you are!

Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment