Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 82: Precious Moments

Familia!
 
What a week! It was Spring Break on ASU, man campus was DEAD, but our area exploded. This week we taught more lessons with a member present than I have ever done in my mission. It seems like the more things Elder Oscarson and I have on our plate, the more solid investigators we find to teach. God is definitely blessing us.

This week we had a couple opportunities to train throughout the mission. Zone Conferences started and so we were able to go to Phoenix and Phoenix South Zones. Its always great to be able to go back to my old areas and hear how people I taught are doing, especially those that I was able to see baptized. Its such a blessing to hear of their progress in the Gospel. As well, this week we had our first ever Sister Training Leader meeting. With all of the new sisters coming out, there is a new assignment for this sisters in the mission. They have had this assignment for the last couple months, but this was the first ever meeting when they had a chance to come together and receive specific training pertaining to only their calling. Elder Oscarson and I were invited to take part in it, so we did our best to train the sisters how to lead the other sisters in the mission... hopefully they thought it went well haha. I'm thankful for all the opportunities that I have to share a little bit of the things I have learned throughout my mission. It truly is a blessing because I always learn even more as I'm preparing.

With it being spring break quite a few of our investigators went out of town. One of which was Jasmine. I've talked a little bit about her family situation, but just to remind you they are Atheist. It has been pretty difficult for Jasmine because Christ has become such a huge part of her life and its difficult to not share that with the people closest to her. Well, the day she left for her trip, she sent us a picture of her standing at the New Port Beach temple, the next day she took a picture at the San Diego temple. She told us for a huge portion of the time they were in the car they were talking about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. Time and time again I'm amazed at the things that she does. She shares the truths she has come to know with everyone, and it has been awesome to see how God has provided her with opportunities to share these truths with her family. I know just as talked about in the Family a Proclamation to the World, "Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ." His teachings are found in the restored gospel. There is no greater place to be than in a home centered on His teachings. I'm thankful that Jasmine has had opportunities to share this Gospel with her family.

As the week continued, we had some amazing experiences with our investigators, but one of the most precious experiences happened last night. Every 3rd Sunday of the month we have what we call the Mission President's Devotional. At this devotional 2 recent converts share their conversion story and their testimony and then President Toone takes some time to speak. As missionaries, we try to get everyone we can to these Devotionals. They are powerful. Everyone I have ever taken has been baptized into the church. Last night we invited several of our investigators to attend, but only two were able to make it. I was conducting the meeting, so I was able to sit on the stand and look out to see everyone throughout the meeting. As I looked at Tasha, one of our investigators, an overwhelming feeling came over me and I had somewhat of a flashback to the beginning of my mission. Tasha is a native american and is 23 years old. My first transfer in the mission, Elder Hernandez and I were teaching a native american named Michelle. I had never seen it before, but Michelle looked just like Tasha, only 15 years older. Michelle had such a strong desire to be baptized, but had become an alcoholic and couldn't kick the habit. The last I heard Michelle had been sent to jail because of an Alcohol related incident. As I looked at Tasha last night, memories of this experience flooded my mind and then a thought came to my mind, "You have helped save her of so much heartache." I don't know what lies ahead in Tasha's life, but I do know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ transforms our life. It helps us reach our divine potential and overcome all the potholes along the way. Last night, Tasha sent us a message and said, "Today was just great, so thankful and blessed to meet everyone that I met today....and its just everything feels so right for that next step to a happier life and to be closer to my Heavenly Father." I am so thankful to be teaching people my age; people who are unscared from the difficulties that life often brings. These people have grown to mean so much to me, and I'm thankful to share something that is so dear and so close to me with them.

A few minutes after the devotional was done I ran into Andres and Teresa, two people I was able to teach and see baptized while I was in Casa Grande. They told me that they were preparing to enter the temple in June and they wanted me to be there. I have forever been changed from the time I have been able to spend in the Arizona Tempe Mission and I am so grateful for the time that I have left to dedicate to my Savior and to these people.

I love you all!
Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment