Monday, May 5, 2014

Week 89: What a Rollercoaster!

Familia!!

What a rollercoaster this mission has been! Never is there a dull moment and rarely is there a moment to sit down, catch my breath, and think. This is exactly how this week turned out. From ups to downs to all over the place, this week was definitely an adventure.

To start the week, I bought a suit! I know what you're thinking mom, don't worry, it was the deal of the century! Thursday was Elder Kloepfer's birthday, so on Monday his mom had sent him some cash to go get whatever he needed. Since we have TONS of needs as a missionary, we went to the only place we could think of, the suit store. Get this, 50% off all suits. But wait, it gets better! Elder Kloepfer drew another 50% off card out of a stack of 100 cards. It was the only 50% card in the entire stack. So, long story short, I got a new suit and its reeaalll nice. $60, I call it a steal.

And then after that, the week turned insane. Every Monday night we have FHE as a ward. This week was especially awesome because all of our recent converts were able to make it. Its seriously such a joy to see them all. One of my favorite things to see is when the entire group blessing the sacrament have recently been baptized or seeing them fulfill their church callings. Nothing gets better than seeing people you have come to know and love become so involved in the church. I read a quote earlier today from President Hinckley that talked about missionary work and it said, "Every time you bring a convert into this church you bless a life. Not one life, if he or she remains faithful, but many lives. For that which you do become the work of generations yet to come." Each of these people have directly affected my life, and its a special thought to think that for generations, their posterity will be directly affected from the decisions they've made to join the church and its a humbling experience to be a part of it.

Tuesday Jasmine had her baptismal interview and passed it with flying colors. After that though, things started to be a little bit more difficult for her. Jasmine told all of her friends that she was getting baptized and extended an invitation to all of them that if they wanted to talk to her personally about it she would love to sit down with them sometime to discuss the why's. Little did she know that nearly all of them would want to sit down with her. As a result of these meetings things have been super difficult for her. She doesn't understand all they why's or all the ins and outs of the gospel. All she knows is what God has told her to do. Meeting with friend after friend hearing the people that she loves tell her that they don't understand why she would leave her other church really started to weigh down on her. Wednesday we ran into Jasmine at the institute and we sat down with her to talk. It was hard to see as all of these doubts flooded her mind and allowed fear to creep in. After we talked for quite sometime we split ways and she gave us a call and said something along the lines of, "Don't worry, I'm still getting baptized. I will get through all of these things one way or another." Well, Thursday morning as we woke up we had a message from Marc, our assistant ward mission leader, saying that Jasmine had put a halt to baptismal preparations and he wondered if we had any further info. Due to scheduling difficulties, we weren't able to meet with Jasmine until a little bit later in the day. As we met that night, it was hard to see as Jasmine started to build walls in front of her that God had already broken down. We talked again for quite some time, focusing on all the answers that she had received, and then once again split ways. She told us that she would let us know by morning whether or not the baptism was on.

As I laid in bed that night, all I could think about was these last 7 months of my mission. Nearly from the time I got here until that day we had been teaching Jasmine. Finally I was able to get to sleep, but as I woke up a little bit later in the night I read a message from Jasmine saying that she had chose not to be baptized at this time. There I sat for the rest of the night wondering why, praying, and taking some time to think. Jasmine leaves in two weeks to an internship in New York. The entire time we have been meeting with Jasmine, everything has lined up perfectly, but that night I was left to just wonder why and what the future held. I thought back to my experience with Michael Padron in Coolidge. Michael's entire family was supposed to be baptized, but the day it came they completely disappeared. I could've never understood that day in Coolidge all the why's, but as I was able to see Michael baptized about two months later and then later able to baptize His children, it all made sense. I know without a doubt in my mind that God's timing is perfect timing. It doesn't matter what type of situation or where we are at in our lives, we can have complete and total confidence that He will provide all that is necessary, when it is necessary. I know He has for me, I know He did in Coolidge for Michael, and I know the same will hold true for Jasmine. No matter how hard situations like these may be, I'm thankful for experience in my life that remind me of this powerful truth. Jasmine knows truths, she has a testimony of the Restored Gospel, and I know that these are truths that Jasmine will always know. I have no doubt in my mind that one day I will be able to see Jasmine enter into the waters of baptism. I do not know when, but He knows and I trust in Him. I cannot wait for that day. It is a day that I look forward to with all that I am.

I love you all and hope all is well with you! Happy Mothers Day!

Con Amor!
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment