Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Week 56: The Importance of the Spirit

Familia!

What a week in Phoenix, full of changes, but equally full of miracles. To start the week off, it was sad to see Elder Cassiano go. I was able to learn a lot from him, and am thankful for the time that I was able to serve with him. I truly do know that the companions we are placed with on the mission are not by accident. Each companion that I have had has helped me become a better person, As such, its always exciting to get a new companion because I know that I will learn and grow from them as well.

My new companion is Elder Murphey, he is a stud. Its funny because we both had the same friends at college, but we only saw each other like once. Its been cool to see though, because even though we don't know each other too well, we have had some of the best lessons in these few short days together. It has always been awesome to see throughout my mission how this is usually the case with every companion I serve with.

This week in my studies I really focused on following the direction of the Holy Ghost. In Doctrine and Covenants it talks about how when someone teaches by the power of the Holy Ghost and others listen by the Holy Ghost, all are edified. The Holy Ghost truly is the Senior Companion, and it has been awesome to see as Elder Murphy and I have been able to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we have been able to teach together but most importantly teach to our investigators needs. We have been focusing a lot on making sure that each of our investigators have a friend in the church. Each week we report on how many lessons we taught with a member present, but this week we have been trying to focus on how many lessons we teach with a friend present. As we have done this, not only has it provided the solid support that our investigators needs, but it has caused the investigators families to become interested in the Restored Gospel as their Siblings/Parents increase in desire to learn. Our goal has always been to teach families, but it always seems like only a couple members of the families are interested. However, as we have provided friends, it has completely changed.

For a long time we have been working with the Sandoval family, but the father has been the only one interested. Slowly we started getting more and more of the family to sit in on the lessons, but now as we have that support there, pretty much the whole family is showing interest. We are planning to go to the Visitors Center at the temple with them this week. There is always such a strong spirit at the Visitors Center when you go, but especially when you can get families there together, miracles happen. One of my favorite lessons this week was with an investigator that hadn't ever came to church. She had driven past the church several times with the intent of going, but for some reason she could never get herself to go in. This week we decided that instead of having lessons at her home, we would have a lesson at the church. Pretty clever, no?... should've thought of that long ago haha.

Anyway, we had her and a couple of her friends that are members of the church meet us at the church. We wanted to focus on the blessings that come from church attendance, and so we focused on the opportunity that we have to take the sacrament every single week. On my mission, this has been something that I have learned a ton about. For most of my life, I think I have just overlooked how huge of a blessing the sacrament. Its not only beneficial to take of the sacrament weekly, but it is necessary. I love as we make three simple promises during the sacrament, to remember Him, To take His name upon us, and to keep His commandments, we recieve such a huge blessing in return. To have His spirit to be with us to guide and direct us in our daily efforts. Our Father never wanted us to do this alone. He has provided so many ways that we can have the support that we need in this life, and I know the sacrament is definitely one of them. I am thankful for the opportunity that we all have to partake of it weekly. It was awesome to see our investigator as she came to know how important the sacrament was and especially how important it will be after her baptism.

I hope everything is going great for all of you.
Love you all!
Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment