Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 15: Tempe Life

Familia!

That's so awesome that Brad got in, I like the idea of Florida....I wouldn't mind another Florida Christmas when I get back. Where ever they go though will be awesome for sure. That's way exciting news.

So this week has been a little lame, probably one of the harder weeks so far on the mission. Its tough to see people reject the blessings that the gospel has to offer. We are teaching this Spanish family who was really interested in what we were teaching, and then all of a sudden they just decided that they didn't want to change a few things. They said that "They were comfortable with what they had and didn't want anymore." Its tough because I know how much God really can help us. He promises us with the things we need as we decide to live the commandments. Every time we go over to visit them they say how tough life is and they wish that there was an easier way. The Gospel is the easier way of life, and it is hard when no matter what you do, no matter how you explain it, they deny it. Trinny (The Mother) had a daughter that was killed. It pains her to even think about, as I'm sure it would for me as well. We taught her that she could live with her daughter again, she could see her daughter again. She just kept saying no over and over again. The Gospel brings hope of more, and with this hope it turns to knowledge of more. I know that she will see her daughter again, just right now she has no desire to learn about it. Right now they are "comfortable" and don't know the joys that the gospel brings. It is sad, and I know that my mission will be full of many more experiences like this. Its crazy how attached you get to these people. You want to help them so much, and you know how you can help them. It is just all up to them and how they use their agency. You know they can be blessed so much more, but when they chose to stay in their "comfortable" ways and deny the blessings of God, it is hard. Along with that, this week we had several more appointments fall through. Its all good though because I know everything happens for a reason. When appointments fall through we try to look for people in the area to teach, because God has prepared people, we just need to find them.

In the State wide Stake Conference Arizona had a couple of weeks ago Elder Holland really stressed the importance of missionary work with the members. He said that the time of knocking doors and finding success is over. There is a better way, and the way to do missionary work is with the members. I know this to be true. All of the solid investigators that we have are from the members. They already have a friendship, a bond with members from the church, and when someone that they care about bears testimony of things they know to be true it has so much more power. Since our area hasn't really done much the past couple weeks since we have been here, Elder Hernandez and I decided to change things up. We came up with a Family Mission Plan and are going to introduce it to all of the members in our ward. Hopefully by doing this, the work picks up. I know that there are people here that are ready to accept the gospel, to accept the blessings it brings, and if members are helping us find them, it will go so much better.

On a plus side to this week, I finished the Book of Mormon again. It never ceases to surprise me how no matter how many times you read it, if you take Moroni's challenge at the end (To read it, ponder it, and pray about it) no matter what you will be able to feel the spirit testifying of the truthfulness. I think when I was in high school I didn't really realize the full power that the Book of Mormon had. The Prophet Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon is the most true book on the earth, and by and through it a man can come closer to God than through any other book. When we have questions, when we desire to feel the spirit, if we read the Book of Mormon we are guaranteed to find our answers and to feel of the spirit. I know the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. I know that a man truly can come closer to God through it because I have seen the power that it has had in my life. The Book of Mormon has literally made me the person I am today. I have seen miracles as people have read it and the changes that they have made in their life because of it. I know that the messages inside are true, and that it truly is the Word of God.
I hope all is well at home, I love hearing from you all. Take Care and hopefully the cold isn't treating you too bad.

Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment