Monday, December 31, 2012

Week 19: Happy New Year's Eve

Familia!

It was so good to see you all on Christmas. Google+ was definitely a good idea. It was awesome to see all of the nieces and nephews and then all of our family. It just made me realize how truly blessed we are to have the family that we have. I am so glad that we have the gospel in our lives to know that we will be together for eternity, and nothing can separate us.

This week was extremely slow. We didn't proselyte Monday or Tuesday because of Christmas, and then the rest of the week was full of lessons that fell through. It is just frustrating sometimes. The last four days we had almost 15 lessons fall through. It is tough because I have come to love the Gospel so much and know how much it will help these people's lives. They tell us how hard their life is and we have the key to make it better, but then they don't take advantage of it. It's difficult, but we just keep pushing through finding the elect. I know that everyone I talk to, I talk to for a reason, and who knows if what I say will affect them today or 10 years from now. All I can do is my part and then hopefully they will listen.

Even though this week was tough with lessons that fell through, we had a pretty awesome experience. About two weeks ago we talked to this lady, Rosa, out in the street. She told us that she was a member of the church but hadn't gone to church for over two years. She asked us if we would stop by some day to bring her a Book of Mormon because she lost hers. So, about a week ago was the first time that we met with her. The first lesson we had with her was very powerful. We talked about our Savior and the things that he has done for us. Elder Hernandez and I both bore our testimonies about how he lived his entire life for us. Everything that Christ ever did was out of service for everyone who will ever come to the earth. After we talked about all of these things she started crying. She told us that she knew she needed to go back to church, she was just embarrassed and scared. She was embarrassed because she hadn't been in over two years and she thought that if she went back people would judge her, and then she was scared because she only worked on Saturdays and Sundays and knew if she lost the job she would lose her house. We talked about how really, it doesn't matter what others thing of us, it is what God thinks of us. After we did that, we committed her to talk to her boss about getting work off.

So, last Sunday Rosa talked to her boss. Her boss told her she either worked Sunday or she lost her job, so Rosa told him bye. The faith of people...It is just incredible sometimes. She is trying to support her family and help her daughter through college. She knew without this income she would lose everything, but yet she put her life in the hands of God and said do with me as you will. Yesterday was the first time that she came to Church. The whole time she was there she was so excited. She said she knew that she was supposed to come back yesterday and that everything that had been talked about was exactly what she needed. She was no longer scared for the future because she knew what was important. She knew that she was doing what was right, and by doing so, God would take care of her. Rosa has some of the most faith that I have ever seen and has truly opened my eyes to a lot of different things. Life is short, and it really doesn't matter what we have. All that matters is that every day we are coming closer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As this becomes a priority in our lives, and eventually, becomes our life, we will be taken care of. God knows our needs. He knows what I, his son, need to make it through this life. I know that as I do my part in this life and change my attitude from "I want this" to "Thy will be done" not only will I become happier, but things will become easier.

It is weeks like these that I think mean the most in your mission. Sometimes baptisms come easy and we have a lot of success, but I know we learn the most through our trials. This whole week I have been thinking to myself, "Why did that lesson fall through," and "Why is nothing working out." However, I know that although those were good desires of mine to have lessons, they were personal desires. As I submit my will to God I know that it will still be tough when weeks with little success come, but I know that I will be doing what God wants me to be doing, and that is all that really matters. Trials will arise in life, but as long as we have the attitude that God's will be done instead of ours, things truly become easier.

I love this work. The Gospel truly does bring joy that can be experienced no other way. I love you all and hope everything is going well.

Con Amor,
Elder Jurgensmeier

No comments:

Post a Comment